[India] Talk by Dr Padmini Ray Murray on 26th February at 7 p.m.

Souvik Mukherjee prosperosmaze at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:23:16 UTC 2022

Dear All,

We are extremely honoured to host a talk by Dr Padmini Ray Murray on 26th
February at 7:00 p.m titled "‘The Play’s the Thing’- Technology as
Performer". All are welcome.

For more details click here:
https://digraindia.com/2022/02/19/the-plays-the-thing-technology-as-performer-talk-by-padmini-ray-murray-on-26th-february/

Zoom link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4606341649?pwd=MlZqb05zNHVpTGkwRXZsVm9makNKQT09
Meeting ID: 460 634 1649
Passcode: 528919

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Best regards and stay safe,

Souvik

Dr Souvik Mukherjee
Assistant Professor, Cultural Studies
Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
e: prosperosmaze at gmail.com, souvik at cssscal.org
w:  http://readinggamesandplayingbooks.blogspot.in/  t:@prosperoscell

Videogames and Storytelling: Reading Games and Playing Books
<http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/video-games-and-storytelling-souvik-mukherjee/?isb=9781137525048>
 (Palgrave MacMillan 2015)
Videogames and Postcolonialism: The Empire Plays Back
<https://www.amazon.com/Videogames-Post-colonialism-Souvik-Mukherjee/dp/3319548212>
(Springer
UK 2017)
-------------
Title: ‘The Play’s the Thing’- Technology as Performer

Abstract:

In 2020 we created a digital theatrical piece called *Abhi.Neta Aayenge* which
raised interesting and provocative questions about audience agency and the
role, quite literally played, by technology and its affordances in making
this work. I will be discussing how some of these explorations might have
resonances for game design as well our understandings of interactivity and
narrative in this talk, by sharing our experiences in the rehearsing and
the staging of the piece.

Bio note:

Padmini Ray Murray’s research-led practice focuses on challenging acts of
infrastructural and algorithmic violence, and creating alternative digital
spaces and imaginations that are characterised by feminist values,
specifically an ethics of care. To explore the possibilities of manifesting
these spaces, Padmini founded Design Beku, a design and digital collective,
that aims to dismantle expectations created by market-driven notions of
design by following design justice principles, that advocate designing with
communities, and not for. Her creative work includes *Darshan Diversion*, a
feminist videogame about the Sabarimala temple controversy; visualising
Cybersecurity (with Paulanthony George & CIS, 2019) about how cybersecurity
is represented in the media; On Affecting the Archive (as artist in
residence at Serendipity Arts Festival, 2020). She has just completed
curating Smarter Digital Realities, working with 21 residents from India
and Bangladesh about technology and the city, and performing *Abhi.Neta
Aayenge* (as part of Last Seen), a digital theatrical work developed under
the aegis of Refunction, a grant for experimental work online awarded by
the Goethe Institut in 2020. Her work has been recently featured as a
highlight of the Wired Women programme for the NEoN Digital Arts Festival
and recently exhibited her work as part of a residency, Unstacked:
articulations of the algorithmic condition at Khoj Studios in Delhi.