[Dutch-chapter] DiGRA AGS Dutch game researchers last meeting this academic year May 11

Jeroen Jansz J.Jansz at uva.nl
Fri Apr 20 13:15:19 UTC 2007

Dear all, Beste mensen,

The fourth meeting of Dutch game researchers is scheduled on Friday, May 11, 1500-1800 hrs.

We will meet at the Faculty Club "Helios", address: Achter de Dom 7a, Utrecht. http://www.helios.uu.nl/ <http://www.helios.uu.nl/>

It will be our last DiGRA / AGS meeting this academic year. I do hope you will find time and opportunity to participate. It is my pleasure to invite you on behalf of AGS and DiGRA.nl. I address you in English, because we will have guests from abroad. Consequently, the talks will also be in English.

The presentation by Jan Klabbers had to be postponed in March. I am very happy that it could be scheduled now.

The program of our meeting:

* 15:00 Welcome (with coffee and tea)

* 15.15 First presentation by Jan Klabbers (KMPC)

'The Magic Circle: Principles of Gaming & Simulation'

In his recently published book "The Magic Circle" (2006), Klabbers provides a synthesis of the many aspects of our field of enquiry and practice. During the presentation, he will summarize and enlighten key issues of the book. For further details see:

http://www.sensepublishers.com/index.htm?http%3A//www.sensepublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D202%26osCsid%3D070c4b1087e45f28e077a2f93dae3347 <http://www.sensepublishers.com/index.htm?http%3A//www.sensepublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D202%26osCsid%3D070c4b1087e45f28e077a2f93dae3347>

* 16:15 Second presentation by Mariet Theune (Human Media Interaction, University of Twente)

'Automatic story generation in a simulated world'

In this talk I will present the Virtual Storyteller, a system for automatic story generation based on the principle of 'emergent narrative', where stories are not scripted in advance but emerge based on the actions of virtual characters in a simulated world. The characters in the Virtual Storyteller are autonomous agents, meaning that they have their own individual goals and act according to these goals in their virtual environment. The stories they create through their actions are captured in a formal representation and then translated to natural language narratives (in Dutch). I will give a global overview of the system and discuss the relevance of this work to gaming and simulation.

* 17:15 Drinks

Participation in this meeting is free. It is necessary, though, to register on the following website:

http://www.gameresearch.nl/gamedag.html <http://www.gameresearch.nl/gamedag.html>

I do hope to see you all in Utrecht,

Also on behalf of Marinka Copier (DiGRA.nl) and Mark Overmars (AGS)

Jeroen Jansz (DiGRA.nl)

Dr Jeroen Jansz

University of Amsterdam
Department of Communication Science
The Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR)
Oost Indisch Huis, Room D 109a
Kloveniersburgwal 48
1012 CX Amsterdam, the Netherlands
phone: (+31) 20 525 3387