[Australia] Defining different ways of playing multiplayer games

Matt Harrison findharrison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:04:03 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,
                   I'm currently completing a literature review focusing on
how multiplayer games are being used in schools and I am trying to find
some academic/professional/technical definitions of the different
categories of multiplayer games. For example 'hot seat' (think Heroes of
Might & Magic), 'shared screen',  'split screen', 'LAN', 'online', etc.
This is important because for my doctorate as I'll be looking at the social
interactions between students playing multiplayer games, and I'm thinking
the way they are playing together will have a big impact upon their
interactions.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could find something a bit more
reputable than Wikipedia/blogs? If not, could anyone recommend any well
written blogs that explain the differences? I've been searching but I
haven't found anything that really clearly defines the differences.

Thanks
Matt Harrison