[DiGRA UK] General meeting and board elections

Nick Webber Nick.Webber at bcu.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 16:15:21 UTC 2022

Dear all,

The board of British DiGRA would like to announce that the process to elect our new board begins today. For the next two weeks (until 25 November), we will accept statements from candidates who would like to stand for election, which will be posted on the British DiGRA website at the end of that period. All 8 board seats are up for election, with 2 of those seats reserved for postgraduate researchers. You can find more details about this process below.

We will hold a general meeting at 16:00 on 15 December 2022 to draw the business of the existing board to a close and to open the vote for the new board. You can register for that meeting here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/british-digra-general-meeting-tickets-467424939577>. The link to the poll will be shared, during the meeting, with all registrants: so if you want a vote, you must sign up<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/british-digra-general-meeting-tickets-467424939577>.

We are aware that not everyone who is active in the UK games research community is on this mailing list – so please do pass this information on to other relevant contacts.

Standing for election
If you would like to stand for election to the board, you should submit a 300-word maximum statement of candidature by 25 November 2022, to bdigraelections at gmail.com<mailto:bdigraelections at gmail.com>. Your statement should include your name, position and affiliation (not included in the word count). To help members to make their choice, your statement should explain your suitability for the role, including a sense of how you are part of the UK games research community, why you want to be a member of the board, and what kinds of activities and approaches you think British DiGRA should pursue. Board seats are usually held for 2 years, with potential for re-election. There are 8 seats on the board, with a minimum of 2 held by PGRs.

Who are our members/electorate?
British DiGRA membership has historically been very open so we do not have a defined membership – broadly speaking, BDiGRA members are potentially anyone who is part of the UK games research community. Pre-Covid, we held board elections at our conference – so the conference attendees became the electorate. Here, the general meeting will serve the same purpose.

What exactly does British DiGRA do?
British DiGRA is the UK chapter of the Digital Games Research Association, and seeks to promote networking between researchers, industry, policy-makers and educators; interdisciplinary connections; student support and mentoring; advocacy and visibility; and educational standards. You can find more information on our website<https://bdigra.org.uk/about>.

Voting
Voting will be open to everyone who signs up to the general meeting, and the poll will be open for 24 hours (until 17:00 on 16 December). If you would like to vote, but cannot attend the meeting, you should sign up anyway and you will receive the poll link by email during the general meeting<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/british-digra-general-meeting-tickets-467424939577>. To prevent duplicate voting, please note that you will need to sign in (to Google) in order to vote.

Process
14 November: Call for candidates and announcement of general meeting.
25 November (23:59): Candidate submissions close.
28 November: Candidate statements posted to British DiGRA website.
15 December (16:00): General meeting takes place, poll opens.
16 December (17:00): Poll closes.

Votes will be tallied and results announced the following week. Subsequently, the incoming and outgoing board will meet to elect a chair and other core roles (vice-chair, secretary, etc.) and to hand over social media accounts (Twitter, Discord, Facebook), website access and so on.

Links
Eventbrite for meeting: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/british-digra-general-meeting-tickets-467424939577
British DiGRA website: https://bdigra.org.uk/
Submission address for candidate statements: bdigraelections at gmail.com<mailto:bdigraelections at gmail.com>