[DiGRA UK] Elections at DiGRA UK 2019

Esther MacCallum-Stewart neveah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:12:50 UTC 2019

Hello all,

We'd like to get some thoughts on whether or not to hold an election at
DiGRA UK 2019 for the UK board. 'Big' DiGRA re-elects every two years,
where everyone on the board must reapply for their positions. Whilst people
can be re-elected, a board member is not allowed to stand for the same
position three times (with the exception of the Treasurer, as they often
hold the bank account details). so - the Chair can only stand for 4 years,
for example.

It's been suggested that, because DiGRA UK is smaller, and has less people
to draw from, that we instead hold elections every 4 years, avoiding the 2
year election. There are some pros and cons of this:

- less people to draw from
- the board may not be able to change so quickly because of this (may not
be practical)
- board members in position for a longer period, thus able to be more
effective

- may disenfranchise younger scholars from applying
- longer period on board may lead to inertia / stagnation

Staffordshire University (the current 2019 hosts), are happy to hold an
election, which would also be noted online as a survey monkey. Last time we
asked members (defined as those engaged with the UK community or who have
attended a UK DiGRA event) to place one vote - either in person or
electronically. Results would be announced at the board meeting during the
event.

If this were to happen, all board members would be up for re-election this
event (DiGRA UK 2019) and would be required to resubmit their applications
for the board - should they wish to do so.

Please send your thoughts to us about this, so that we can make an equiable
decision.

Esther MacCallum-Stewart, Chair.

-

--

Esther MacCallum-Stewart

Associate Professor in Games Studies, Staffordshire University.
Division Head of Facilitation, Dublin 2019, An Irish Worldcon.
Bid Chair, A UK Worldcon in 2024.