[DiGRA UK] Welcome and introductions

Esther MacCallum-Stewart neveah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:28:26 UTC 2014

Huzzah - I haven't managed a newsgroup for a long time so a couple of
rookie errors there!

Welcome everyone, to the UK newsgroup. Shall we start with the usual
introductions? I'm also going to start up a separate thread which outlines
DiGRA UK's aims, and also explains how we will be organised / how events
can take place within it. This will probably be tomorrow now as I want to
make sure it's clearly presented and gives people an opportunity to discuss
without confusion.

So, I'm Esther MacCallum-Stewart. I work at the DCRC, UWE Bristol, as a
research fellow. My work examines play communities, sex and sexuality in
games, and how gamers understand narratives. I've written on roleplay,
deviant play and gendered appearance in games, and I'm currently finishing
up (as in, writing the Index right now!) a book on webcasting, YouTubers
and the Indie games scene, and an edited collection on Love in Games, with
Jessica Enevold (as in, we're waiting for one final final chapter to be
returned and then it goes to the publisher for typesetting!). I've been
nominally coordinating the DiGRA UK group with Ashley Brown, but it's very
much a group effort.

Hello and please come to the event in June!

Esther

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM, marc garrett <marc.garrett at furtherfield.org