[India] You've Got Mail: DiGRA India Conference 2022 is here!

DiGRA India digraindia21 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:00:31 UTC 2022

Dear All,

The wait is over. We are super-thrilled to announce that DiGRA India
Conference 2022 is all set to go live on 26 and 27 November 2022!

This year's theme  *"Videogames, Science Fiction and India"* and we have a
fantastic set of discussions lined up for you. You may check the whole
program on our conference website
<https://digraindia.com/digra-india-2022-conference/>.

Keep an eye out for:

*Keynote Addresses:*

*Title: "Yoga Firing Nuclear Gandhis: Video Games Science Fiction in India"*
*Speaker: Sami Ahmed Khan, **Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions* *Postdoctoral
Fellow, University of Oslo and Science Fiction Writer*
In this address, Dr. Khan proposes a “transMIT thesis” to investigate how
mythology (M), ideology (I) and technology (T) contour speculative
imaginations as manifested in contemporary videogame narratives. It asks
how videogames in, for, and about India engage with the mythic, negotiate
socio-political otherization, and deploy newer technologies.

You can read more here <https://digraindia.com/keynote-1/>.

*Title: Speculative Play and Paratopian Design *
*Speaker: Dr. Rilla Khaled, Associate Professor, Design and Computation
Arts, **Concordia University (Canada) **and Director of **Technoculture,
Art, and Games (TAG) lab*
In this address, Dr. Khaled makes a compelling case for "paratopian design"
which is neither utopian or dystopian, to interrogate whether complex
socio-cultural questions could be "playable" through familiar digital
interfaces. Her talk draws on design examples from cooking-skill based
immigration systems, flirtatious AI chatbots, futuristic matrimonial
websites, and so much more to map paradigm shifts that push us to
reconsider notions of "here" and "now".

You can read more here <https://digraindia.com/keynote-2/>.

*A DiGRA India Special adda
<https://digraindia.com/games-studies-india-adda/>:*

*Videogames and SF in India adda/plenary session: *
An intriguing discussion featuring Bodhisattva Chattopadhyay (University of
Oslo) and Professor Simi Malhotra (Jamia Millia Islamia University) that
will be moderated by Souvik Kar (IIT Hyderabad).

You can read more about the session  here <https://digraindia.com/plenary/>.

You may register for the conference for free via eventbrite
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/digra-india-conference-2022-videogames-science-fiction-and-india-tickets-461944577667>

We look forward to having you with us as we speculate our ways through
gamescapes,  Science Fiction, and so much more!

Best wishes,
DiGRA India