[Dutch-chapter] CHI PLAY 2021 - Call for Participation

Günter Wallner g.wallner at tue.nl
Mon Feb 1 18:21:49 UTC 2021

* CHI PLAY 2021 | CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
* 8th ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play
*
* Submission deadlines
* February 17, 2021:   Full Papers
* July 16, 2021:       Work in Progress, Interactivity, Student
*                      Student Game Design, Rapid Communications
*                      Doctoral Consortium
*
* Vienna, Austria
* October 18 - 21, 2021
* https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/ | @acmchiplay | #chiplay2021

Covid-19 Note:
--------------
As the organisers of CHI PLAY 2021, we are committed to providing an
inclusive, safe, and respectful conference environment for all
attendees. As such we closely and carefully monitor the developments of
the Covid-19 pandemic and will adjust the format of the conference as
necessary to ensure the safety of our community. Independent of the
format of the conference we can assure all authors of accepted work that
their contributions will appear in the ACM DL and that they will be
given the opportunity to present.

*** SUBMISSIONS ***

As an ACM SIGCHI-sponsored conference, CHI PLAY welcomes contributions
that further an understanding of the player experience, as well as
contributions on novel designs or implementations of player-computer
interactions, and contributions to theory. We invite contributions to
CHI PLAY across a variety of research techniques, methods, approaches,
and domains, including, but not limited to:

- Playful interactions and new game mechanics
- Innovative implementation techniques that affect player experiences
- Studies of applied games and player experiences (e.g., games and play
for health, wellbeing, and learning)
- Accessible and inclusive design and player experiences
- Esports, live streaming, and spectator experiences
- Advances in game user research and game evaluation methods
- Psychology of players and typologies of games and players
- Gamification, persuasive games, and motivational design
- Virtual and augmented reality in games and play
- Novel controls, input or display technologies for games and play
- Tools for game creation
- Theoretical contributions on play and games
- Innovations to advance the work of game designers and developers
- Game analytics and novel visualizations of player experiences
- Developer experiences and studies of developers
- Industry case studies

CHI PLAY welcomes contributions on the effects of various technologies,
software, or algorithms on player experiences. Technical contributions
without impact on players or game designers and developers are not
within the scope of CHI PLAY. The conference invites submissions to the
following tracks: Full Papers, Interactivity, Work in Progress, and
Rapid Communications. Additionally, students are invited to submit to
the Student Game Design Competition and the Doctoral Consortium.

*** FULL PAPERS (JOURNAL ARTICLES) ***

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE):
February 17, 2021:    Full (journal) papers submission deadline
April 21, 2021:       Notifications given (accept/minor/major/reject)
June 2, 2021:         Revisions due
July 7, 2021:         Final notifications given

CHI PLAY is the premier international venue for research in interactive
games and play. We invite authors to submit their best research on all
topics relevant to interactive play. Papers will receive a minimum of
three reviews and be handled by an Associate Chair (AC), who will
provide a meta-review. Accepted papers will be published in the October
2021 issue of the Proceedings of the ACM on Human Computer Interaction
(PACMHCI).

IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Starting this year, CHI PLAY 2021 full papers will be published in the
ACM Journal PACMHCI. Please see the announcement
https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/pacm/  for more details.
- Papers submitted to CHI PLAY 2021 will receive one of four decisions:
Accept, Minor Revision, Major Revision, and Reject. If asked for major
or minor revisions, authors will have 6 weeks to implement them and
submit to a second round of review from the same associate chairs and
external reviewers.
- No minimum or maximum page length is imposed on papers. Rather,
reviewers will be instructed to weigh the contribution of a paper
relative to its length. Typical papers are under 8,500 words. We
particularly welcome short papers on a focused contribution.
- CHI PLAY 2021 will use the new ACM Master Article Templates; detailed
instructions on formatting can be found at
http://www.acm.org/publications/authors/submissions. Authors should
submit manuscripts for review in a single column format, which is
available for LaTeX (use the “manuscript” call to create a single column
format) and Word.

For further details see: https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/full-papers/

*** RAPID COMMUNICATIONS ***
8 to 12 pages in ACM Master Article Template, single column manuscript
style.

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE):
July 16, 2021:        Rapid Communications papers submission deadline

Rapid Communications  is an innovative track at CHI PLAY focusing on
specific topics of interest to the community, highlighting significant
work from both industry and research. We especially invite contributions
from practitioners and researchers in game development, games user
research, games education, gamification, and PX. The track is also
suitable for individuals, studios, and companies who want to showcase
their work and share lessons learned from success and failure.

Rapid Communications papers are archived in the ACM Digital Library in
the CHI PLAY 2021 Extended Abstracts.

For more information, visit https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/

*** WORK IN PROGRESS ***
Up to 8 pages in ACM Master Article Template, single column manuscript
style.

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE)
July 16, 2021:        Work in Progress papers submission deadline

Work in Progress contributions provide a unique opportunity for authors
to present reports on original yet incomplete work that seeks to advance
our current knowledge in games and play through innovative or
thought-provoking ideas. We encourage submissions describing
late-breaking advances and work-in-progress reports from ongoing
research. Submissions are evaluated on the basis of originality,
innovation and contribution to the diversity of the conference program.

Work in Progress papers are archived in the ACM Digital Library in the
CHI PLAY 2021 Extended Abstracts.

For more information, visit https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/

*** STUDENT GAME DESIGN COMPETITION  ***
Up to 8 pages in ACM Master Article Template, single column manuscript
style.

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE)
July 16, 2021:        Student Game Design Competition papers submission
deadline

The CHI PLAY Student Game Design Competition will provide a unique
opportunity for students to showcase their interactive play systems and
designs. The track provides students with the opportunity to provide a
description of their game. In addition, students will need to submit a
gameplay video of their game as well as proof of their student status
(full-time or part-time, all levels up to PhD). Submitting executable
copies of student games is optional, though strongly encouraged. A jury
panel will nominate the best submissions for presentation. Final winners
will be selected by an expert jury panel at the end of the conference.

Student Game Design Competition papers are archived in the ACM Digital
Library in the CHI PLAY 2021 Extended Abstracts.

For more information, visit https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/

*** INTERACTIVITY ***
Up to 8 pages in ACM Master Article Template, single column manuscript style

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE)
July 16, 2021:        Interactivity papers submission deadline

The Interactivity track is an opportunity for researchers, designers and
artists within the wider CHI PLAY community to showcase their work in a
hands-on setting that gives conference attendees the opportunity to
explore and discuss their systems. We are looking for submissions that
push the boundaries of playful human-computer interaction through
technical advancement, innovative interaction concepts, or stimulate
artistic and critical reflection through design.

The Interactivity track at CHI PLAY invites submissions in two main
categories, research and design. Submissions to the research category
are expected to make a contribution to our understanding of how humans
interact with playful technologies, which needs to be evidenced by
thoroughly situating results in previous research in our field when
preparing the extended abstract. Submissions to the design category are
expected to provide an experience that engages conference attendees and
stimulates conversation; in their abstract submission we expect authors
to describe and reflect on the expected experience.

We especially encourage authors to submit games and interactive
experiences that have the potential to be played by the audience during
a live-demo session such as browser-based experiences.

Interactivity papers are archived in the ACM Digital Library in the CHI
PLAY 2021 Extended Abstracts.

For more information, visit https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/

*** DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM ***
Up to 4 pages in ACM Master Article Template, single column manuscript style

Important dates (all times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth or AoE)
July 16, 2021:        Doctoral Consortium papers submission deadline

The CHI PLAY 2021 Doctoral Consortium provides an opportunity for
doctoral students to explore and develop their research interests in
games and HCI in an interdisciplinary workshop, under the guidance of
distinguished researchers. We invite PhD students who feel they would
benefit from this kind of feedback on their dissertation work to apply
for this unique opportunity.  Participants will share their work with
other doctoral students as well as senior researchers in the field.
Participants will present their work to the entire conference during a
special conference session. The strongest candidates will be those who
are at least in their second year, have a clear topic and research
approach, and have made some progress, but who are not so far along that
they can no longer make changes. In addition to stating how you will
benefit from participation, both you and your advisor should be clear on
what you can contribute to the Doctoral Consortium. In addition to their
consortium contribution, accepted students will also submit and present
a video at the CHI PLAY conference.

Doctoral Consortium papers and videos are archived in the ACM Digital
Library in the CHI PLAY 2021 Extended Abstracts.

For more information, visit https://chiplay.acm.org/2021/

* CHI PLAY 2021