[Dutch-chapter] Games, Media and Communication Symposium (ECREA-ERMeCC) - 7 & 8 November (EUR, Rotterdam)

Teresa De La Hera delahera at eshcc.eur.nl
Tue Oct 29 16:12:34 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I would like to cordially invite you to the GAMECO2019 Symposium - Games, Media and Communication: Quo Vadis?. The symposium will take place on 7 & 8 November 2019 at Erasmus University Rotterdam and it is a collaboration between ECREA Digital Games Research Section and the Gaming Matters Research Cluster of the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC).

The 2010s are almost over, and game studies is preparing to enter another decade. The current decade has seen discussions on ludification and e-sports as well as the true breakthrough of terms such as gamification, signifying the pervasive and ubiquitous nature of games and play in contemporary societies. This symposium aims to look at where we have been and where we are going as a field – what could be the next steps? Where could we go from here, and what is going to happen to game studies in the 2020s? How does the multi-disciplinary field of game studies relate to the similarly multi-disciplinary field of communication studies? What kind of innovations are waiting around the corner when it comes to novel research methods or theorizing? What kind of phenomena are only beginning to receive attention, where are the remaining gaps in research?

Below, you will find the programme of the symposium and details about location and registration.

Best regards,
On behalf of the ECREA Digital Games Research Section,
Marko Siitonen, Felix Reer and Teresa de la Hera

Details & registration
When:
Thursday 7 November 2019 (13:00-16:45)
Friday      8 November 2019 (09:00-16:00)
Location:
7 November 2019: Room G2-41, G Building, Campus Woudestein, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam
        8 November 2019: Room G3-46, G Building, Campus Woudestein, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam
Entry price: 50 euros
Contact: Teresa de la Hera (delahera at eshcc.eur.nl<mailto:delahera at eshcc.eur.nl>)
Registration and further details: https://www.eur.nl/en/eshcc/research/ermecc/conferences/gameco2019 (Limited seats available)

FULL PROGRAMME:
Thursday 7 November

13:00 Opening words (assoc. prof. Marko Siitonen, chair of the Digital Games Research section)
13:15-14:45 Session I (panel: Virtual Reality Gaming: Are We Entering a New Era of Interactive Entertainment and Digital Games Research?)
• Robin Janzik: Developing a scale to measure Virtual Reality technology acceptance
• Robin Janzik: The role of vividness and interactivity for Virtual Reality technology acceptance: A laboratory experiment
• Felix Reer, Kimon Kieslich, Wai Yen Tang, Lena Frischlich, and Thorsten Quandt: My happy virtual me? The influence of interactivity and Virtual Reality technology on mood repair
• Felix Reer, Lars-Ole Wehden, Wai Yen Tang, Robin Janzik, and Thorsten Quandt: The slippery path to total presence: How using an omnidirectional Virtual Reality treadmill influences the gaming experience
14:45-15:15 Coffee break
15:15-16:45 Session II (4 presentations)
• Ruud Jacobs: Winning Over the Players: Investigating the motivations to play and acceptance of serious games
• Teresa de la Hera: Co-designing a methodology to explore the role of digital games to foster social interactions during long-term hospitalization
• Salvador Gómez-García and Nuria Navarro-Sierra: Can you play the message in the media? The use of newsgames in traditional media
• Tobias Staaby: Video games as tools for dialogical teaching and learning

Friday 8 November

9:00-10:30 Session III (4 presentations)
• Alex Gekker: Against Game Studies
• Ea Christina Willumsen: Rethinking the Relationship between Avatar and Gameworld
• Morten Heuser: Retooling Ethnography - Ethnography in digital games
• Michel Ottens: Finding words for how video games move us: Interpreting games as motion systems in Erin Manning’s process ontology terms
10:45-11:30 Keynote (Prof. Dr. Jeroen Jansz): Gamestudies: Mechanics, Dynamics and the Audience
11:30-12:30 Lunch
12:30-13:45 Session IV (3 presentations)
• Stefan Werning and Dennis Jansen: Ecomodding: Methodological Remarks on ‘Thinking Through’ Game Modifications in Environmental Communication
• Ulf Wilhelmsson: The conflicts and games of SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original) – A composite analysis
• Rowan Daneels, Lieven Geerts, Steven Malliet, Michel Walrave & Heidi Vandebosch: “Do not mistake my silence for lack of grief, boy”: Analyzing meaningful game content - a case example of 'God of War’ (2018)
13:45-14:15 Coffee break
14:15-15:30 Session V (3 presentations)
• Ulf Wilhelmsson, Tarja Susi & Niklas Torstensson: Merging analogue and digital - Design challenges in creating an augmented reality serious board game
• Mikko Meriläinen: Crooked eyes and playing together: Adolescent perceptions of gaming-related parenting views and practices
• Khalid Ezat Azam: Risk and responsibility in the discourse on loot boxes
15:30 Closing words

Teresa de la Hera Conde-Pumpido, PhD
University Lecturer

W   eur.nl/en/eshcc/media-and-communication<https://www.eur.nl/en/eshcc/media-and-communication>

Visiting address Burgemeester Oudlaan 50
Department of Media & Communication
Van der Goot Building / Floor 8 / Rotterdam
Postal address  P.O.Box 1738/ 3000 DR Rotterdam / The Netherlands