[Dutch-chapter] Basement Talk Sebastian Deterding on December 13th

Rob van Roy rob.vanroy at kuleuven.be
Fri Dec 7 12:04:28 UTC 2018

We are very proud to announce our next Basement Talk that will take place on the 13th of December from 1 pm till 2 pm. During this Basement Talk, Sebastian Deterding, one of the thought leaders in the field of games and gamification, will tap into his experience as a design researcher to share insights on motivational and persuasive design. An abstract of this talk as well as Sebastian’s short bio can be found below.

Practicalities:

  *   WHERE: Designroom Mintlab (Parkstraat 45, 3000 Leuven, Belgium)
  *   WHEN: Thursday, December 13, 1 pm – 2 pm
  *   REGISTRATION: It’s a free and public event, but please confirm your attendance via email to Rob.vanRoy at kuleuven.be<mailto:Rob.vanRoy at kuleuven.be> before the 12th of December.

We hope to see you there!

Designing for Motivation: Bridging the Gap Between Psychology and Design Practice

Abstract
As everyday life is increasingly mediated by digital applications and services, motivation has become a new core challenge for design: How do we design our digital lifeworld to motivate people to live more healthily, save energy, learn, work, play, commune, or participate in politics? Naturally, designers turned to psychological research for guidance — but often left unsatisfied, finding psychological research too abstract or analytic to be useful. As a result, small multidisciplinary fields like persuasive technology, design for behavior change, nudging, or gamification emerged that tried to translate between psychology and design, yet often with questionable results. In this keynote, I will reflect on my own research on applied game design and my experience traversing academia and industry to tease out some of the epistemic differences between psychological and design knowledge that make translating between them difficult, and suggest some ways forward towards a principled and practical science of motivational design.

Bio
Sebastian Deterding is a designer and researcher working on design for human flourishing. He is a senior research fellow at the Digital Creativity Labs at the University of York. Founder and principal designer of the design agency coding conduct, he has created engaging experiences touching millions of users for clients including the BBC, BMW, Deutsche Telekom, KLM, and numerous startups. He has keynoted and presented at venues including CHI, Design and Emotion, GDC, Google, Lift, MIT Media Lab, IDEO, UX London, and Web Directions. He is founder of the Gamification Research Network, and co-editor of “The Gameful World” (MIT Press, 2015). He lives online at codingconduct.cc<http://www.codingconduct.cc/>.