[Dutch-chapter] GALA conference tutorial day

Groenendyk, H. (Heleen) H.Groenendyk at uu.nl
Tue Nov 15 14:23:19 UTC 2016

Dear reader,

I would like to have your attention for the upcoming GALA (Games and Learning Alliance) conference tutorial day.<https://conf.seriousgamessociety.org/tutorials/>
GALA conference 2016<https://conf.seriousgamessociety.org/2016/> features four tutorials organized by experts and related to different aspects in the field of game-based learning, serious games and gamification. They will take place on December 5th, morning and afternoon and are of interest for researchers, practitioners, designers, developers, educators, students and other stakeholders.

You can either book a half day (€50) or a full day participation (€100), including lunch and coffee breaks. Find full information on the tutorial website<https://conf.seriousgamessociety.org/tutorials/>

9-13

Let’s tame the gamification beast and prosper –
Kam Star

In a challenging and fun hands on and discussion format, participants will discover:
•             The Difference between good vs evil gamification
•             How to use gamification effectively for improving learning outcomes
•             How different types of gamification work in different scenarios
•             Why cooperative gamification works better than competitive gamification

Learn how to construct student models for personalized feedback using MEBN/Pr-OWL2 –
Jeroen Donkers

The European research project WATCHME developed student-models were that use the content of an assessment e-portfolio to provide just-in-time, personalized feedback to learners in a workplace-based learning environment
The core technology that was used is the Multi-entity Bayesian Network. It is an extension of the classical Bayesian network and is equivalent to probabilistic OWL. It simplifies the construction of complex student models considerably, using so-called Knowledge Fragments.
You will learn how to use the MEBN extension of Bayesian networks to construct student models, and you will learn about what steps to take to get from the first idea to a working model. There will be plenty time to discuss your own possible application of a student model.

14-18

Travelling smart – playful knowledge when crossing Schengen Borders –
Carolina Islas

In the European Project BODEGA games for travellers who are crossing the Schengen area were developed. The goal of the tutorial is to analyze and develop learning games with specific constraints that will be played by a diverse background of players. In the tutorial we will gain an insight of context analysis (in particular when crossing the Schengen border), learning objectives (for travellers) and game experience.

How to build an interactive virtual character for games?-
Zerrin Yumak

This tutorial will show how to build an interactive virtual character for games. It will start with an introduction of theoretical concepts and challenges in the development of interactive virtual characters. That will be followed by demonstrations of our research results on interactive virtual characters over the years. Finally, we will introduce our latest Interactive Virtual Human Controller developed at Utrecht University by combining research and off-the-shelf components. The tutorial intends to provide practical knowledge to researchers and practitioners who are interested in developing their own interactive virtual character for games.

Kind regards,

Heleen Groenendijk

Drs.ing. H.Groenendyk | Project manager | Utrecht Center for Game Research I Faculteit Bètawetenschappen | H.groenendyk at uu.nl<mailto:H.groenendyk at uu.nl> I 06-38754122 |Hans Freudenthalgebouw | Kamer 0012|Budapestlaan 6, De Uithof | 3584 CD Utrecht | Aanwezig op woensdag en donderdag tussen 10.15 en 16.15. Op vrijdag  per telefoon en e- mail bereikbaar