[Dutch-chapter] CFP: eNTERFACE workshop "Body-Centric Interactive Play"

R.W.Poppe at utwente.nl R.W.Poppe at utwente.nl
Thu May 23 12:10:37 UTC 2013

Call for Participation

eNTERFACE International Workshop on Multimodal Interfaces

p3 BODY-CENTRIC INTERACTIVE PLAY

Lisbon, Portugal, July 15 - August 9, 2013

Deadline for participation: May 26

We wish to invite you to join our eNTERFACE team on BODY-CENTRIC INTERACTIVE PLAY. The project focuses on sensing and inducing interactions in an interactive playground. In particular we will work on a context-aware playground that use body and behaviour information to adapt and personalize game mechanics. We aim to develop a playground that promotes physical activity and social play to provide the players with an engaging experience. The workshop eNTERFACE will be held from Monday 15th of July 2013 to Friday the 9th of August at "Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa" in Lisbon, Portugal (http://eventos.fct.unl.pt/enterface13).

The workshop is open to researchers (PhD students, MSc students, staff) interested in these playgrounds. Four different contexts can be explored based on the participants and their preferences: (1) Games to play, use of online learning of dynamic game rules based on players' behavior; (2) Altered reality, combine active physical objects and augmented reality, the real world influences the virtual world and vice versa; (3) Interactive play platform, a large set of relatively simple open-ended play worlds each showing a specific subgoal: motoric development & physical activity, social interaction, technical possibilities and cognitive development; (4) Ambient persuasion, installation capable of persuading and adapting the play behavior of participants. Additionally, the target group (children, teens) will also be decided based on the participant's preferences.

We have the following objectives for this workshop:

-      Improve techniques used currently in the development of interactive installations

-      Explore new approaches in the field of body-centric interactive play installations

-      Design a body-centric interactive installation that promotes physical activity and social play

-      Provide the framework of the interactive installation as open source

-      Create a basis for future research project collaborations

-      Learn to design, implement and evaluate interactive installations in multidisciplinary teams

For a more detailed description of the project we refer to http://eventos.fct.unl.pt/sites/default/files/enterface13/files/p3_proposal.pdf.

Participants for the duration of the four weeks (or shorter) is free of charge, and accomodation at a reasonable price is available. Please check online how to apply: http://eventos.fct.unl.pt/enterface13/pages/call-participation. The deadline is May 26! Please feel free to contact us for any additional information and hopefully we will see you soon!

Robby van Delden, Alejandro Moreno, Ronald Poppe and Dennis Reidsma