[Dutch-chapter] LAST call for contributions. Serious Games: The Challenge. 19th-21st of October 2011, GHENT, Belgium.

Sylke Vandercruysse Sylke.Vandercruysse at kuleuven-kortrijk.be
Mon May 16 11:40:29 UTC 2011

Serious games: The challenge
19th - 21st of October 2011, Ghent, Belgium
Final call for contributions

!!!On multiple requests the deadline is extended until May 22nd!!

This conference is the result of a combined effort of the Scientific Network (WO.002.07N) on 'Critical and flexible thinking' lead by the Center for Instructional Psychology and Technology of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and the Interdisciplinary research group on Technology, Education and Communication of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Kulak. The aim is to bring scholars together who study the use of games in educational settings from different perspectives, such as instructional design, domain specific didactics, cognitive and computer science,..... With serious games we mean a game designed with a primary focus on learning, although they can still be entertaining, this is not their prime focus.

>From October 19 through 21, 20111 C.IP.&T. and Itec will host a conference on serious games and gaming. During this three day-conference different key-note speakers will address various aspects of serious gaming
Already confirmed:
                Prof. dr. Ton de Jong (University of Twente; http://users.edte.utwente.nl/jong)
                Prof. dr. Steve Thorne (Pennsylvania State University; http://language.la.psy.edu/~thorne)
                Prof.dr. Sigmund Tobias (University at Albany, State University of New York; http://www.albany.edu/educational_psychology/faculty/tobias.shtml)
Submissions
Two formats of submissions will be accepted, namely paper and poster presentations. All submissions will be blindly reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Submission should be sent to Sylke.Vandercruysse at kuleuven-kortrijk.be<mailto:Sylke.Vandercruysse at kuleuven-kortrijk.be> by MAY 22 2011 the latest.

Guidelines for submission

1.       Paper presentation

A paper discusses a theoretical or empirical study on serious games and/or gaming. Papers report on completed studies and present an in-depth discussion of the methods used. A two page summary (max. 1000 words) should be submitted.

2.       Poster presentation

A poster presentation typically addresses work in progress. This may be the report of a study for which no results are yet available, or a research proposal. A one page summary (max. 900 words) should be submitted.

All accepted contributions will be published in the proceedings. Publication of a book and/or thematic issue will be considered after the workshop.

Important deadlines
May 22nd 2011: Submission of summaries
July 15th  2011: Notification of acceptance/rejection to the authors
September 15th 2011: Full paper for proceedings
October 19th-21st 2011: Workshop

Venue (CHANGE IN LOCATION FROM KORTRIJK TO GHENT!):
Katholieke Hogeschool Sint Lieven
Gebroeders Desmetstraat 1
9000 Gent
http://www.kahosl.be/site/index.php?p=/nl/page/262/technologiecampus/

More information  https://ppw.kuleuven.be/o_en_o/CIPenT/seriousgames/seriousgameshome

Scientific Committee
Jeroen Bourgonjon (Universiteit Gent)
Geraldine Clarebout (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Kulak)
Stefan De Wannemacker (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Kulak)
Jan Elen (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
David Gijbels (Universiteit Antwerpen)
Paul Kirschner (CELSTEC - Open Universiteit - Heerlen)
Erno Lethinen (University of Turku)
Bram De Wever (Universiteit Gent)
Sylke Vandercruysse (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Kulak)

Geraldine Clarebout
Center for Instructional Psychology and Technology
Interdisciplinary Research team on Technology, Education and Communication
Dekenstraat 2 box 3773                                          Etienne Sabbelaan 53
3000 Leuven                                                                 8500 Kortrijk
t. 016/325708                                                               t. 056/246008
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CC127E.1915A550]