[Dutch-chapter] FW: [ecrea] CFP - The social side of gaming: International Conference on the Social Aspects of Digital Gaming

Jan Van Looy j.vanlooy at ugent.be
Tue Jan 18 08:44:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

A very interesting conference on the social side of gaming. The plan is for
this to become an ECREA gaming working group so anyone interested in playing
a role in that, be there!

Best regards,

Jan

[ecrea] CFP - The social side of gaming: International Conference on the
Social Aspects of Digital Gaming

Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:39 +0100

Carpentier Nico  <mailto:nico.carpentier at vub.ac.be>
<nico.carpentier at vub.ac.be>

ecrea at listserv.vub.ac.be

> [...]
>the various forms of human interaction in
>digital games. The aim of the conference is to
>bring together researchers from a variety of
>disciplines interested in social interaction in
>games, including (but not limited to) the fields
>of communication research, media studies,
>sociology, psychology, education studies, and economics.
>
>Papers and presentations will address one or
>more of the following conference topics:
>
>·       Theoretical and empirical approaches to
>social interaction in digital games
>
>·       Forms of communication in digital games
>
>·       Interaction among co-located gamers
>
>·       Game communities and cultures, social
>interaction in and around games (e.g., clans and online discussions)
>
>·       Avatars, identification, and self-representation in virtualworlds
>
>·       Development of interaction rules and
>social norms, including questions of ethics,
>morality, economy & justice in digital games
>
>·       Entertainment through social interaction
>
>·       Design and implementation of social interaction
>
>·       Methodology of research on social interaction in games
>
>·       Violent interactions, griefing, and sexual harassment in
digitalgames

>·       Excessive use and forms of addiction
>related to social aspects of gaming
>

>Abstracts
>
>An extended abstract of no more than 3 pages in
>length (7500 characters in total) should be
>prepared for blind review as a Word file (.doc
>or .docx). When submitting the abstract, please
>include a separate cover page including the following contact details:
>
>·       paper title
>
>·       name
>
>·       department/organization
>
>·       postal address
>
>·       e-mail address
>
>The abstract should provide a clear outline of
>the status of the proposed work (for empirical
>studies: status of data collection and analysis)
>and confirm that the research will be ready for
>presentation at the conference. By sending an
>abstract, the author(s) agrees to personally
>present the research at the conference.
>
>The abstract should be sent to the organizing
>committee by email
>(gamescon2011 at uni-hohenheim.de) before 28
>February 2011. The double-blind review process
>will take place during March, with the results
>returned on 31 March 2011. Further information
>on the conference program, including keynote
>speakers, will soon be available on the conference Website at
>
>sofoga.uni-hohenheim.de/conf2011
>

>Organization
>
>·       The ERC (European Research Council)
>project group The Social Fabric of Virtual Life
>
>·       The Sociology of Media Communication
>section of the German Communication Association (DGPuK)
>

>Additional Information
>
>The conference language is English. The
>conference proceedings will be published after
>the conference. Papers selected for the
>proceedings volume should be prepared for a book

---
Postal address:
ECREA
Université Libre de Bruxelles