[Dutch-chapter] Meeting of Dutch and Flemish game researchers (DiGRA / AGS). 23 April 2010 Utrecht

Jeroen Jansz jansz at fhk.eur.nl
Mon Apr 12 11:27:40 UTC 2010

Beste mensen, Dear all,

It is our pleasure to invite you to our next meeting on Friday, April
23, 1500-1800 hrs.
We will meet at our familiar venue: the Faculty Club "Helios",
Kanunnikenzaal, address: Achter de Dom 7a, Utrecht.
http://www.helios.uu.nl/

The theme for this meeting is 'serious' applications of serious games.
We are very happy to welcome two distinguished speakers, Joske Houtkamp
and Menno Deen.
Both will talk about their own recent research.

The program:

15:00 Welcome (with coffee and tea)

15:15 Presentation by Joske Houtkamp
    (Dept. of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University &
    AGS, the Centre for Advanced Gaming and Simulation).

Who's afraid of virtual darkness?

    Most people have an innate fear of darkness. Ambient darkness
conceals potential dangers, and creates a feeling of insecurity about
orientation and escape routes. There is some evidence that fear of
darkness also occurs in immersive virtual environments. Moreover, in
commercial desktop games, low-key lighting is often used to evoke
suspense and dread.
    Influencing the emotional response of the trainee in serious games
and training applications  is a valuable means to prepare a trainee to
perform in a diversity of circumstances. In two experiments we explore
the effects of darkness on the response of the viewers of a virtual
environment on a desktop computer. Can virtual darkness be used to
elicit anxiety or arousal?

16:15 Presentation by Menno Deen (Fontys University of Applied Sciences
& Ranj's game researcher)

Games that Motivate to Learn: Design Serious Games by Identified Regulations

    It is commonly acknowledged that intrinsically motivated learning
makes for better students. Though, facilitating students to become
intrinsically motivated to learn is difficult, if not, impossible to
accomplish. As every student has different and personal intrinsic needs,
the design of regulations that satisfy intrinsic needs may seem an
unfruitful approach to serious game design. Inspired by research to the
beta-version of the second language game CheckOut!, I propose a
different approach to serious game design, based on identified regulations.
    Identified regulations are negotiations with personal valued rules.
The regulations can be positioned between external regulations (based on
punishments and rewards) and intrinsic regulations (based on a personal
willingness to act). To develop identified regulations, game designers
should create a correspondence between the game regulations and the
student's perceptions about the educational instruction.
    To accomplish this fit, game designers should not conceal the
learning with(in) a game, but should explicitly communicate the
constructed knowledge to the player. Progressive feedback, the
availability of various learning styles in the game, and the embedding
of the game in a social environment, might satisfy students' needs for
competence, autonomy and relatedness to significant others. When these
needs are satisfied within the context of the educational instructions,
students might become motivated to learn during play, and even when the
game is over.

17:15 Drinks

Participation in this meeting is free. It is necessary, though, to
register on the following website:
http://gate.gameresearch.nl/index.php?pageID=105

Kind regards,

Marinka Copier (DiGRA), Mark Overmars (AGS) and Jeroen Jansz (DiGRA)

Our last meeting this academic year will be on Friday, June 18, 2010

--

Prof. Dr. Jeroen Jansz

FHKW - Department of Media and Communication
Erasmus University Rotterdam
P.O. Box 1738
NL-3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Phone: 	+31 10 408 24 53
Email:	jansz at fhk.eur.nl
Website:	http://www.fhk.eur.nl/personal/jeroen_jansz/bio/

Visiting address:
L-Building, Room L2-33
Woudestein Campus, Erasmus University Rotterdam
Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA Rotterdam

Route and Location:
http://www.eur.nl/english/addresses/