[Dutch-chapter] Next meeting AGS and DiGRA Friday 9 March

Jeroen Jansz J.Jansz at uva.nl
Wed Feb 14 10:25:46 UTC 2007

Dear all,

This is to correct my earlier mistake: in the body of the earlier email I wrote May, 9. It must be Friday 9 March 2007. I was also informed about problems with the hyperlinks. These have been corrected in this message. Please do register (for free). The AGS site is available to book your registration.

Dear all, Beste mensen,

The third meeting of Dutch game researchers is scheduled on Friday, March 9, 1500-1800 hrs.

We will meet at the Faculty Club "Helios", address: Achter de Dom 7a, Utrecht. http://www.helios.uu.nl/

It is my pleasure to invite you on behalf of AGS and DiGRA.nl. I address you in English, because we will have guests from abroad. Consequently, the talks will also be in English.
The program of our meeting:
* 15:00 Welcome (with coffee and tea)

* 15.15 First presentation by Jan Klabbers (KMPC)
		'The Magic Circle: Principles of Gaming & Simulation"
		In his recently published book "The Magic Circle" (2006), Klabbers provides a synthesis of the many aspects of our field of enquiry and practice. During the presentation, he will summarize and enlighten key issues of the book. For further details see:
		http://www.sensepublishers.com/index.htm?http%3A//www.sensepublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D202%26osCsid%3D070c4b1087e45f28e077a2f93dae3347

* 16:00 Second presentation by Joost Raessens (Universiteit Utrecht)
		"Playing Politics: The Medium-Specific Way Computer Games Frame Political Issues"

		Referring to Lakoff's notions of 'metaphor' and 'framing', Raessens examines the potential of political computer games to persuade players by challenging simulated experiences. He analyzes games that are used for addressing a variety of political issues, such as the killing of JFK (JFK Reloaded) and United Nations interventions in Africa (Darfur is Dying). Compared to film, press and broadcasting the specificity of computer games lie in the power of procedural representation. They are embodied activities that not only represent political problems but also simulate procedures designed according to ideologically colored rules the player has to master to win the game.

* 16:45 Q&A, plus Discussion

* 17:00 Drinks

Participation in this meeting is free. It is necessary, though, to register on the following website:

http://www.gameresearch.nl/gamedag.html

I do hope to see you all in Utrecht,

Also on behalf of Marinka Copier (DiGRA.nl) and Mark Overmars (AGS)

Jeroen Jansz (DiGRA.nl)

Dr Jeroen Jansz

University of Amsterdam
Department of Communication Science
The Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR)
Oost Indisch Huis, Room D 109a
Kloveniersburgwal 48
1012 CX Amsterdam, the Netherlands
phone: (+31) 20 525 3387